Friday, August 15, 2008

Fantasy Football Fundamentals

Hey, you probably wouldn’t be here if you weren’t already into Fantasy Football. But I have to tell you, I wasn’t always into it myself. So if you’re an FFL newbie, welcome!

Once I got hooked a few years ago, I found that managing an FFL team was almost as much fun as playing the game. The big difference is I haven’t hurt my hip or tweaked a knee or even jammed a finger the whole time!

So if you’re already a FFL pro, you can skip the rest of this post. But if you’re new, read on!

In Fantasy Football, you will be a team “owner” and will participate in a league. Someone will create your league, and guess what, this person is known as the commissioner. The commissioner invites other owners into the league, then each team participates in a draft.

The draft is a critical part! So be smart! In my FFL (Fantasy Football League), we draft a quarterback, two running backs, two wide receivers, a tight end, a kicker and a defense. We also get a few bench positions. I won't be offering my opinions on the kickers and defenses (except when you’re on a real football field, stay away from them!)

Each week, my team will play head-to-head against another team in the league, with points awarded for players’ performance. You get more than one player per position, to account for injuries and to let you manage who you think will play best on any given week.

The teams with the best records advance to the playoffs, just like in the NFL. The details of all this vary from league to league. So feel free to argue with your commissioner and fellow owners about how things should play out in your league! That’s half the fun.

OK, let’s play some Fantasy Football!

No comments: